- Small Warmer is used for warming small points, measures 4.8″ x 0.4″ dia and uses the smaller moxa sticks.
- The tiger warmer has 2 main parts – the outer “tiger warmer” part and the inner “moxa holder” part
- Insert the moxa stick into the holder part.
- Light the stick and blow out the flame (the stick should smolder like charcoal, not burn with an open flame).
- Insert the moxa holder part into the tiger warmer part
- Practice depressing the moxa holder part as far as it will go (with your thumb) – when the spring is completely depressed and the moxa holder is pushed down as far as possible, the lit moxa stick should still be about 1/2 inch away from the end of the tiger warmer.
- The lit moxa should never touch the end of the tiger warmer.
- Practice brushing the warm end of the tiger warmer over your own skin to get used to the heat
- Practice adjusting the heat by depressing and releasing the moxa holder (spring mechanism) within the tiger warmer.
- To use therapeutically, brush or roll the warm end of the tiger warmer in the affected area of the body, paying careful attention to the heat. the warm end of the tiger warmer should always be in motion, it should not be held in place against the skin, as this may create a burn.
- Regularly remove the tiger warmer from the skin and test against your skin to ensure it does not become too hot for safe use
- Instruct patients to indicate if tiger warmer becomes too hot
- Remove tiger warmer immediately if it becomes too hot
- Never leave patient unattended during tiger warmer use
- Do not use the tiger warmer (or any moxa product) on the face or other sensitive areas, on infants or young children, or on patients unable to sense heat or pain (e.g. the elderly or those with nerve damage)
- You may need to remove the moxa holder from the tiger warmer to knock ashes off of the burning moxa stick, and/or to advance the moxa stick up in the holder so that it continues to burn, use caution when doing so
- To extinguish the moxa when finished, dip the tip in water or use a moxa extinguisher to ensure that the stick is completely extinguished.
Tiger Warmer Device